Monday, December 15, 2008

Lauren's Top 10 of 2008


Lauren Mooney's Top 10 Albums of 2008

Lauren Mooney is a contributing writer to
Stark. Her words have appeared all over the Internet, most recently on Brooklyn Vegan. Also, check out her blog: I Capture The City Electric. These are her top 10 albums of the past year, in no particular order.



Lykke Li: Youth Novels
This CD is like a magical treasure trove of pop jams and love songs - "Tonight" and "Complaint Department" are two of the best songs of the year.





Vampire Weekend (Self Titled)
Can I even really listen to this album anymore? No. But do I think it was one of the most solid releases of the year? Yes.






Sebastien Tellier: Sexuality
France's musical daddy makes sexy music to perform while girls throw their panties at him - say no more.






Flight Of The Conchords (Self Titled)
So maybe I don't even own this album but I do own Season 1 of the show, and I think for the Pet Shop Boys-inspired "Inner City Pressure" alone this is a classic.






Beck: Modern Guilt
Almost like a combo of Sea Change and Odelay. Beck holds a special place in my heart always because my dad and I always go see him together. My dad even flew out to New York this last tour to continue the tradition.





Noah And The Whale: Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down
Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach-inspired musical whimsy... give me a fiddle and some handclaps and I'm there.






The Welcome Wagon: Welcome to The Welcome Wagon
Were you patiently awaiting the next Sufjan album? Well, if you were wondering what he's been up to, he's making music that sounds just like this.






Santogold (Self Titled)
This woman is a force to be reckoned with...a goldmine for remixers and a catalog of influences that ultimately blow my mind.






Gang Gang Dance: Saint Dymphna
Tribal drums make what could otherwise be too kooky become dancey, soulful and wonderful.






...Britney Spears: Circus
Ok, Ok, I know! But dude, it's fun!








For more staff picks, like contributing writer Mike Bailey's top albums of 2008, check out the "Best Of" section. Tomorrow (Tuesday, Dec. 16) we'll be posting Andrew's and Matt's top albums of 2008, and Wednesday we'll be unveiling the artists' picks.

No comments: